Tips Tuesday-Earth Week #2, The Three ‘R’s and a ‘U’
How have you celebrated our first Earth week? Any pictures to share, stories to tell? Well I’m excited to share that Cindy Pearce from Crystal Rainbows has collected 6 bags already with her family over the Easter Holiday! We are so looking forward to having her join our Green Family this May and sharing her many Holistic Healing skills with our guests.
Last week we discussed efforts to prevent inadvertent littering on garbage day, this week I wanted to share how we have managed to divert tons of garbage and recyclables from the local landfills and hopefully inspire you to look around your home to see what things you could Reduce, Reuse, Recycle or Upcycle! Yes we observe the 3 R’s …and a ‘U’.
– We use both sides of printed paper for note taking at our front desk
- We have reduced and or eliminated all toxins from our skin and haircare lines
- We have shrunk our carbon foot print by partnering with Green Circle Salons
- We have our salon more efficient per square foot,
- We use Clean energy from BullFrog energy
- WE have a refill program for all of our shampoos and conditioners refilling the plastic containers twice and our glass infinitely while offering our guests a discount as an incentive to participate in the program above and beyond the obvious benefits to all for doing so.
- In each Renovation we have reused all of our chattel preventing filling landfilss with perfectly good usable items and not having to purchase brand new to replace them
- We furnish the Salon and Spa with many items from the Re-Store and antique furniture stores.
- The products taken from the Salon from green Circle is reused to make furniture , eye glass frames, light fixtures and ceiling fans
- We use hand towels in the washrooms, washed with Eco Friendly, Biodegradable laundry detergent
- The producst taken from the Salon from green Circle is reused to make furniture , eye glass frames, light fixtures and ceiling fans
- We petitioned for recycling bins when we opened Hybrid at a previous location 5 years ago and did the same three years ago at our current location at which time no recycling containers were present at this building. All recyclable items of no further use to us are separated and placed in our recycling bins
- We have foiling mesh which we use for hilighting that can be reused
- We have taken furniture that no longer serves its purpose in it’s origin form and created new more suitably useable items out of the original. Like our candle fire place which in its original forma was an 8’x 4’ colour table and created a colour ‘Bar area and candle fireplace at our original location and since moved the candle fire place to the current location.
I have listed a few of our efforts in each area of awareness of the three ‘R’s and ‘U’, in order to inspire and motivate you to be creative in your upcycling options in your home, would a TV stand make a great desk? An old door a head board, an old desk an island in your kitchen? Can you do more to recycle or composting by putting individual receptacles in each room and labeling them for your family? Can you write to manufacturers’ to ask them to minimize their packaging so you won’t have as much to recycle? Could you not only vote or persuade with your purchasing dollars by buying items from conscientious manufacturers? Could you do more to support Green or Organic Business? Can you use pickle, jam and spaghetti jars for lunch containers instead of buying plastic containers, and bags? Could you sign up for BullFrog energy for your home?
None of this is necessarily ‘Easy’ some of it may be time consuming, a couple things more expensive, but most you will find is fun, money saving and fun in a creative and inspired way. Besides, can we afford not to?
“Ecology and Economy have the same root word, ‘eco’ which means ‘home’. But what we have done is elevate the economy above ecology” – David Suzuki
“The chameleon changes colour to match the Earth, the Earth doesn’t change colour to match the chameleon”
- Senegalese Proverb
“When the last tree has been cut down, the last river has been polluted, and the last fish has been caught, only then do you realize that money can’t buy everything.” – Amer.Indian
“Someone sits in the shade because someone planted a tree a long time ago” – Warren Buffett